Training: Two options
Children First comes alive through committed individuals in the community. There are two training options.
1. You & Children First. St. Louis Park is proud of its tradition of putting children first and has won national awards for being one of the 100 Best Communities for Young People. But what does it mean to put our Children First? And what role do you have even if you’re not currently raising children? Join us for this interactive session to hear how Children First began and learn about its compelling research base, the 40 Developmental Assets. You’ll have an opportunity to interact with others and determine what you can do to help our young people thrive. We are teaming up with St. Louis Park Community Education to offer this class which is being repeated: Tuesday, October 23, 7 – 8:30 p.m. and Wednesday, October 24, 10 – 11:30 a.m. Both will be held at Lenox Community Center. The training is free, and a reservation is required.
2. Children First Champion Training. If you want to be active in the Children First initiative, this training is for you. This training educates you about Children First AND requires a commitment to help the initiative flourish in St. Louis Park. Choose one of the training dates.
- Wed., October 3, 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Wed. December 5, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wed., January 16, 5 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Wed., March 20, 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
– Those who live, work or volunteer in St. Louis Park.
– Individuals committed to the healthy development of our youth in St. Louis Park.
– Volunteers who will make a commitment to share the Children First message among St. Louis Park adults they know.
Children First’s goal is that by 2022, 4 out of 5 households will know about Children First and the important role they play in helping youth thrive. Children First Champions help meet this goal.
Children First Champion training occurs in two parts. It begins with a 4-hour session covering the history of Children First, its research base (the 40 Development Assets), and the role of Children First Champions. Following the first session, you will receive sign-up information for a 90-minute Action Planning Session where you will set two action steps to spread the message through your sphere of influence. Children First Champions are required to participate in both sessions, and make a commitment to spreading the word among St. Louis Park adults. Make a reservation for the FREE 4-hour session with this link.
350 people joined us for the seventh annual Champions Breakfast on March 1.
This is Children First’s annual gathering to celebrate our commitment to young people which showed how supporting our kids comes full circle. Van Hong spoke about the support he felt growing up in St. Louis Park. He is now a role model for St. Louis Park young people. We also heard the premiere of the Children First Anthem, which was written for and will be performed at the 25th annual Children First Ice Cream Social.
Save the date: The 2019 Champions Breakfast will be held Thursday, March 7 at the Doubletree Park Place Hotel.
It’s a Wrap!
Thanks for participating in this year’s Children First Ice Cream Social which was on Sunday, May 13. We served 2600 free ice cream cones at our 25th Annual event!
This event is made possible due to the generosity of our major sponsors.
Triple Scoop: Citizens Independent Bank
Double Scoop: Park Nicollet Foundation, Pediatrics & Family Medicine
Join us for our next Children First Ice Cream Social on Sunday, May 19,2019, 2-5 p.m. at the St. Louis Park Rec Center in the ROC.